It's been some time since the last update to ConstEdit v1. The forthcoming version will be numbered as version 2. In version 2, we concentrate on the performance with large documents and the compatibility with Windows 7. Here is a preview of what's coming in this new version :
- The underlying rendering engine of the editor will be changed to Firefox, instead of Internet Explorer. As a result, you can expect obvious improvements on performance with large documents and much better compatibility with Windows 7. All functionality will be equally available in various Windows versions from Windows 7 upwards. This change of rendering engine also provides the design framework with much more flexibility to future enhancements.
- A new set of icon graphics will be used; but do not expect a brand new look here.
- The pdf format will be supported in the Export option. This facilitates document sharing by using the most popular format.
- You will be able to select multiple table cells by dragging while holding the left mouse button, much like working with a spreadsheet application.
- Numerous bug-fixing and minor improvements.
With the present progress, it is expected that the new version be ready in about three months' time. For the time being, please have a test drive with the current version of the editor.