Thursday, April 20, 2017
The goal of the initial implementation would be to preserve as much functionality and convenience as possible, when compared with the original standalone version. You can expect documents produced by the current version of the editor be fully supported in the future version, as both are using exactly the same html5 format, which is standard across all modern web browsers.
With the present progress, it may be expected that the extension be ready in about four months' time. For the time being, please have a test drive with the standalone version of ConstEdit which can be downloaded from the Download page above.
Monday, February 6, 2017
ConstEdit is updated to version 2.9.9 and is now free for all purposes of use. The License Agreement Dialog and the End User License Agreement are updated to reflect the change.
Final version of ConstEdit utilizing XULRunner
Because of the strategy of Mozilla Foundation to deprecate their XPCOM technology, we are facing a direct setback on the future availability of the interfaces with the underlying rendering engine of ConstEdit. We are therefore looking into migrating to another rendering engine. We haven't reached the final decision on the future direction yet. There are too many unknowns at present. Technologies are changing really fast.
To express our appreciation of your support since ConstEdit debuted in 2013, we are making the current version of the app totally free. You may use the app for whatever purposes as you like. Please note however that this will be the final version of ConstEdit that is based on XULRunner of Mozilla Foundation. There will be no more update to this version.
Future Version of ConstEdit
Please be assured that ConstEdit will rise again as an Html document word processor, though very likely with another web-browser as the rendering engine. We will still be sticking to using Html5 as the document format. It can be expected that the initial version of the future software will have very close resemblance to the current version, in terms of functionality and compatibility.
In the meantime, we sincerely hope that you are satisfied with using this free version of ConstEdit. Please stay tuned. This website will be kept updated with our decisions on the new version of the software.
Friday, January 27, 2017
Saturday, December 24, 2016
Tuesday, November 22, 2016
ConstEdit is now at 2.6.1. The changelog is as follows :
- The "Open To Browse" option now opens the read-only copy at the same working position as the document that is being edited. This provides more convenience of making references to the read-only copy.
- Note that if the current document that is being edited has unsaved changes, there may be discrepancy in the opening position due to the unsaved changes.
- Quoted text is identified by the app as text that immediately follows a double quotation mark " or an apostrophe '.
- Note that the left and right double quotation marks “” are not handled by the app.
Monday, August 22, 2016
ConstEdit v2.6 is released. The changelog is as follows :
- The bundled XULRunner is upgraded to v41.0.
- Text on toolbars no longer look blurry and distorted. They are now rendered normally at all application window widths.
- You can now click on the icon at the left hand side of any toolbar to hide it.
- Translate button is removed from the Text toolbar, and placed into the context menu (right-click menu). The Translate Language is set up through a new item in the Settings Menu.
- The title of the current section is now shown in the mouse-over tooltip of the Go-to-section button in the Find And Replace Toolbar.
- In previous versions, there is a limitation that links to resources, which are specified in element inline style properties (e.g. background image), are not converted to relative even though the Use Relative Links checkbox in File Menu is checked. Absolute links are always used for links within inline styles. This limitation is now fixed. Links in inline styles are converted in accordance with the Use Relative Links setting.
- Resizing of objects such as tables, images and figures can now be undone and redone with one single step. Previously, numerous undo or redo steps must be taken in order to revert back to the desired state.
- Bug fixed. The Font Size buttons on Text Toolbar have stopped working since v2.5. They are now replaced by a single Font Size button for you to apply a relative font size to the selected text.
- Several minor bugs are also fixed.
- The User Guide has been updated to reflect all the above changes.
- The End User License Agreement EULA is changed to update on the download link of XULRunner.
New license fee
Starting from this version, the license fee for using the app for business purposes is revised to US$50 per computer.
Monday, May 16, 2016
ConstEdit v2.5.6 is now available. The changelog is provided here :
- When inserting a new section in Sections Outline View Dialog, a message box prompting for the new section title will be displayed first. The new section will then be inserted with the specified title. Previously there was no message box, and the app default standard section title was always used for the new section.
- The Quick-Text functionality is decommissioned, because the same convenience can also be achieved by defining your quick-text in Auto-Convert Mapping.
- If you have already defined your quick-text into ConstEdit, you will need to manually re-define these into Auto-Convert Mapping. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.
- Please note that because Auto-Convert Mapping is only for html documents, there is no quick-text replacement function for plain text files.
- If there are no table-cells being selected, all inline styles for the table together with all of its child table elements will all be erased. This is the same treatment as in previous versions.
- If there are selected table cells, then only the inline styles of these table cells will be erased.
- If there are no table-cells being selected, all font styles of the currently selected text will be erased.
- If there are selected table cells, then the font styles of all text inside the selected table cells will be erased.
- For Delete action in Sections Outline View Dialog, you can now choose to cancel the action in the warning message box. Formerly, there is no option to cancel.
- In some rare situations, Paste action was not performed successfully.
- In some rare situations, with the caret being placed at the beginning of a word, the Convert Case action was not performed successfully for the word.
- Toggle Alternating Row Color did not cause the document to be flagged as Modified.
- The app could terminate abnormally at start-up, when there were other apps starting up and there were keyboard inputs from another app at the same time.
- Auto-Select for Cut and Copy selected the whole table when the caret was inside a table caption or inside a table cell. Only the text of the table caption or the table cell is now selected. Auto-Select works for Cut and Copy to automatically select the current paragraph if no text is being selected.
Please get it from the download page.
Monday, February 15, 2016
ConstEdit v2.5.5 is now available. The changelog is listed here :
- The border of the editor panel now displays a drop-shadow visual effect to make it feel more like typing on a piece of paper. This applies to both html documents and plain text files.
- The Insert Table Row function now inserts the new row AFTER the current row. Previously the new row is inserted before the current one, which is less natural. A similar change is applied to the Insert Table Column function.
- Previously, it might not be possible to delete table rows in some rare occasions. This is now fixed.
- Several minor bugs are fixed.
- The user guide is updated according to the changes.
- The digital signature of ConstEdit is updated to using SHA256; previously it is SHA1.
- This is in accordance with an upgrade of the security policy in Windows.
- As a result of the signature change, a warning message may be prompted from Windows to the installer during installation.
Please go to the download page to get it.